Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Get out and vote!

I'm sure you're already well aware that today is Election Day. So make sure you get out and vote! Despite however long of a line you may have to stand in, exercising your right to vote is one of the greatest privileges we have in this country!

I vote at a school just about a half mile or so from our house. It's almost always empty at 6 am when the doors open, but this time when we arrived at 6:02, there were already 7 people in front of us. Not long after we got up there, numerous people were lining up behind us (probably about 10). We waited 6 minutes to get up to the person who asked for our name, and then another few before we were actually handed the ballot. It's a bit frustrating when the election officials don't know what they're doing and are unorganized, but I know it must be frustrating for them too. Thank you to all the election officials out there who are serving in this capacity today! May you not have too much hassle or frustration today ~ thank you for working hard!!

I must admit I was bummed I couldn't use an electronic machine since our polling place only had two of them, and the two people using them were taking forever. I decided not to wait in yet another line and give in to the old, handy-dandy, paper ballot. It sufficed. My election judge didn't even offer to hand me an "I voted" sticker. So I grabbed one for myself. I wasn't about to miss out on that special sticker! ;) Plus, today you can get lots of free stuff with your sticker like coffee at Starbucks, a donut at Krispy Kreme, or a scoop of ice cream at a Ben & Jerry's shop. But alas, you may be forced to wait in an even longer line than your polling place. If nothing else, be dishing out lots of patience today no matter where you are. I got to see two lovely accidents on my way to work today... I think the stress and anxiety of this day are noticeable everywhere we look. Be patient, take it easy, and exercise your freedom today!

You know, no matter who wins the presidential seat, probably about half of the country will be bitterly disappointed. I just hope and pray we don't have to wait as long for the official results as we did in 2000! I know that I hope the guy I vote for wins but I know that some dear friends and family hope the other guy does. I have no intention of arguing politics, just hoping for the best from my perspective. But in the end, I know God has the whole world in his hands, and the winner is not a surprise to him. He knows. He is in control. He will have the final victory. I am not worried. I just pray for our country and that we don't all slip into losing sight of what's truly important.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!


For more free clip-art, go here: www.ace-clipart.com.

No comments: