Thursday, October 22, 2009

I'm Still Yours by Kutless

I am absolutely loving the new worship album from Christian rock band Kutless. It Is Well is a wonderful mix of upbeat music, smooth tones, wonderful lyrics both new and old (some old hymns even!), and no screaming (kind of a trademark Kutless thing).

Cuz... screaming instead of singing just is not my thing.

Go to their exclusive Kutless Culture Jam, Twitter about it once, and you can listen to the full album.

Anyway, here are the lyrics to one of my favorites, titled I'm Still Yours:


If you washed away my vanity
If you took away my words
If all my world was swept away
Would You be enough for me?
Would my beating heart still sing?

If I lost it all
Would my hands stay lifted
To the God who gives and takes away
If you take it all
This life You've given
Still my heart will sing to You

When my life is not what I expected
The plans I made have failed
When there's nothing left to steal me away
Will You be enough for me?
Will my broken heart still sing?

If I lost it all
Would my hands stay lifted
To the God who gives and takes away
If you take it all
This life You've given
Still my heart will sing to You

Even if You take it all away
You'll never let me go
Take it all away
But I still know...
That I'm Yours
I'm still Yours
Oh, I'm Yours
I'm still Yours
I'm still Yours


(c) 2009, Written by Nick De Partee & Jon Howard, Indecisive Music Publishing, Thirsty Moon River Publishing (ASCAP), Moon and Musky (BMI) Admin by EMI CMP


Nick (one of the co-writers and a member of Kutless) explained to us tonight in a Facebook chat with the band how this song came about:

"In a nutshell, this song was written by myself and my good friend Jon Howard from the band Stellar Kart. It's definitely one of the most memorable times in my life where God has just completely moved in a situation. Jon and I both had a super rough month for different small, yet frustrating reasons and were struggling with keeping our heads on straight. We took a moment in Jon's room while writing one day to just pray and ask the Lord to take away these worries and stresses that were heavy on our hearts and we just sang to Him. About 45 minutes after we had taken that time-out, this song had been created and it was almost like we watched God move our hands across the paper jotting down lyrics to create this whole song. God moved in the room that day and this song came out by His grace. I think it speaks to all of us in a very honest way in that if we truly did lose it all, all the clutter we hold on to, all the business of our lives, even all of the positive things we have been blessed with, if we lost all of it and were left with nothing but God, would He be enough for us to be content? A tough question that God continues to convict me on and that conviction drives me to worship him... His grace is truly amazing, and through it all, we are still His. After finishing this song, we realized that there were lines almost identical to the book of Job in the Bible. It inspired me to read this book once again!"


That's so amazing, isn't it?!?!

No comments: