Friday, August 6, 2010

Weight Loss Update

I've been working hard, really hard with my exercise goals since last August when I joined a gym. I joined a weight loss class for 6 months, and I felt like I was putting every last ounce of energy into it. But I was really struggling with the nutrition aspect. It was a much harder 'diet' than I'd expected. I did some of my own rebelling, fighting through it, and ultimately finally getting a grasp on it.

Sorta.

Then in February the class ended and in March I started one-on-one training with the personal trainer who'd been teaching that class.

And I have been deeply grateful for all that I've learned from him these past several months! I had 7 one-on-one sessions with the nutritionist too. I still fought frustrations and really struggled with it. It's been such a longgg process for me. I understand it takes time, but when it's been a year and you've just yo-yo'd through 10 pounds, that's a long, stinkin' time! It can get really disheartening.

But let's be real, I haven't been giving it my all every day of every week. It's exhausting right now to give something my all.

Something on SparkPeople really caught my eye last week. It's an article written by Mike Kramer, please check it out here. This is the phrase that got my attention:

"You can be the hammer, making things happen, or you can be the nail that sits there and gets pummeled over and over. If you’re starting to feel like a nail, it’s up to you to keep your program moving forward. Gather yourself together, draw a line in the sand and refuse to give in to the doubts and temptation to give in or quit."

You know when you hear those things you already technically know something but it doesn't really click? That's how I'm feeling right now....

I've been so incredibly frustrated by all of this. But I've been letting myself be the nail instead of the hammer*. It's time for that to change.  

*of course, all the while letting God be the even bigger hammer over me.

Tomorrow I'm starting a 90-day weight loss challenge at my gym. I'm so intimidated and freaked out, all the while also determining that I can totally do this!!!! 

Please pray that I can do this, in God's strength.

Despite my fears, I'm ready. Let's do this. It's my time. I have to. No more being pummeled.

Bring it on.

No comments: