Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Running & Torture

I equate running with torture.

Which is kind of ironic for a track-loving, cheerleader-guru, volleyball-playing-nut, gymnast when I was younger.

Then I grew up and {ahem} got a brain.

Which is probably why seeing this bumper-sticker cracked me up.


But wow, I want to be sick at the idea of running 13 miles, much less the 26 miles for a marathon. Even when I ran track in middle school I only did the hurdles, the 1 mile relay, and the 400 yard dash. Nothing over 1 mile, thankyouverymuch.

I do truly admire runners though, despite my thinking they are crazy.

And yes I know it's healthy, blah blah blah. 

I love that my husband has gotten into it in the past year or so, and that he's run 2 5k races so far. I'm so INCREDIBLY proud of him!!!!

As such, last year I was fairly involved behind-the-scenes in our 5K at our church, to show my support of hubster.

And thereby somehow found myself on the leadership team this year for the church's 2nd annual 5K race.

Ma-hum-an-ah?!?! 

It's a bigger deal this year, over 400 people expected, with strategic plans for promoting and launching the event into the social media world, etc. I'm heavily involved, and not even entirely sure how I found myself there.

I have to keep myself in check as I try not to let Satan sabotage my thinking as I feel so completely inept and incapable of working on promoting a race! I'm not in shape, I'm embarrassingly overweight, and I have major self-esteem issues, like as I pictured every person I handed a flyer to this past weekend in the lobby judging me and wondering why on earth I'm the person they're hearing from about a 5K.

But whatever, I had a blast meeting new people, greeting guests, having a laugh-fest with a couple campus pastors and a good friend I hadn't seen in a while. I'm such a people person that despite the silly thoughts circling my head, I'm grateful I had the opportunity.

I admit I really am enjoying it all immensely. It is a lot of fun and I'm learning a lot. I'm being stretched and pulled in ways I didn't know were even left in me. I'm overwhelmed and feeling like I got in way over my head, but in ways I know are going to benefit me as a person and my health.

If you live in the area and are crazy amazing enough to love to run {or walk too, actually!}, let me know and I'll get you more information! But basically until June 2nd, you'll likely see a bit less of me around the blogosphere, as I spin around in circles {but NOT running, mind you!} and try to stay sane.

As if staying sane is possible for someone like me....


--
{side note: you'll probably see me less anyway as I tend to stay away from blogs in the weeks leading up to Mother's Day.}



2 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I have every confidence in you that you'll pull this off! I KNOW you can do it!

Rachel Jones said...

wow!! that's awesome, great job - i bet that is a lot of work!