Saturday, February 18, 2012

Funerals are Draining

No matter who you are or your relationship, if they meant anything to you at all, a funeral is very draining.

I have absolutely no idea how my body is still functioning. Only by the grace of God. My Uncle Bill was an amazing man and I loved him dearly. I can hardly believe he's really gone.

And if you were super close to them, it's incredibly draining & exhausting.

My aunt, cousins, cousin's spouses, and cousin's kids are in my heart & prayers every moment of each day. It breaks my heart.

But after this week and lots and lots and lots of talking about it all with my family & friends, after all the tears & hugs & prayers, I just need a bit of a break from talking about it. So instead of sharing more now verbally, I'm just going to share my favorite picture from the experience.

This is my mom and her siblings. My mom is the one on the floor, my Aunt Robin (Uncle Bill's wife) is next to her, Robin's twin is next to her, and then my aunt from Chicago is on the left. They have one older brother who wasn't able to make it. I absolutely adore these women and I love that they are all so incredibly close.


Even more so, I love that this was at the end of the visitation, and my Aunt Robin is smiling.

4 comments:

Liz Mays said...

Beautiful photo, and even more beautiful explanation of the lovely women in the shot. There's something about the fact your mom is down there on the floor that speaks volumes about her too. I don't know what exactly, but I know that I love it.

I'm glad it's over now and that you can breathe and begin to heal.

(((Hugs)))

Christina T said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. I will be praying for your family.

Thanks for sharing the picture of your mom and her sisters. I'm sure it helped your aunt a lot to be surrounded by such love and support.

Debbie Vermilyea said...

I remember the feeling of loosing and how we can all support one another. Beause I have communicated with you for some time through social media, I've seen your heart. I can tell you are in the right family. Bless your heart and those of your family members. Thanks for sharing your photo. BIG Hugs

Julie said...

What a bittersweet moment it is to formally release our loved ones into the next life. Certainly there is a sense of peace when you know them to be with the Lord, but the void they leave behind aches terribly. I pray that the Lord will comfort you and your family in these days.