Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Mom Club

It's exclusive.

It can be judgmental.

It's only for moms.

Moms understand what other moms are going through in ways no other person can understand.

Despite that I'm content with the idea that I may never be a mom, there's a part of my heart that still really hurts as I process the idea that I really may never be a part of the mom club.

I love kids. I'm good with kids. I know I have a special influence in the lives of the kids I know.

But just like some of my friends who struggle with never being a part of the wife club, or always being a bridesmaid but never a bride... I feel like the "aunt" who will never be truly a part of the mom club.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my friends who are moms. They don't make me feel awkward. They don't leave me out, they do their best to include me. I soooo appreciate that. But no matter how much they try or I try, it doesn't change the fact that I can never truly understand or really be at the same place in life.

I know a lot more than some who don't have kids because I get involved, I listen to the moms share the detailed parts about labor, delivery, nursing, and all the ups and downs about parenting, discipline, true exhaustion, etc.

But the reality is still there. It just is what it is.

And some days the reality is just really, really, really hard.

It's hard to breathe.

4 comments:

Sarakastic said...

Aww I'm sorry, I feel the same way too about the mom club too sometimes.

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

There are "clubs" I'm not a part of, too, but I know this one is so universal, so hard to avoid that it is more hurtful. I hate that so many of my friends are not yet wives or moms, because I know they feel left out sometimes. How you've described it here, though, is so honest - I can't feel your pain, but I certainly feel your heart here.

melody said...

Oh, dear Rochelle, my heart aches for you so badly. I can relate, it really is so very hard and painful! ((hugs))

Vikki G said...

Rochelle,
take heart...I have Systematic Lupus...Fibro...Sjogrens ect. and I have had three children. It was not easy but it is possible. Praying for you!
Blessings,
Vikki