Thursday, November 6, 2008

New Chiropractor

I've seen my new chiropractor now three times (last Wed, this Mon, and this Wed). It's utterly exhausting me to double my commute time for the day (so now about 3 hours on the road the days I go to the chiro), but so far I remain hopeful.
This doc really knows his stuff. He has 20 years of experience with fibro patients, and a really good success rate in helping them to feel significantly better. I just have to give it at least 3 months to really know if it's making a difference or not. The hardest part of it all is that drive. Beyond that, I like him... he's easy-going, personable, very knowlegable, listens to me, trustworthy, funny, cares deeply for his patients, and has a wide variety of background and treatment options.

The first visit last Wed was really nerve-wracking for me. We spent most of the hour and a half talking through stuff and not doing too much work. He did identify that I have a thyroid problem through an amazing process I cannot even begin to describe, because I hardly believed it myself. His assistant did a 2-minute deep tissue massage on me that I reacted to because of the oil used which has a cooling effect. I don't handle that well. So we were done quickly after that, and I was a bit on edge about my next visit.

My second visit on Mon made me a believer. :) It was amazing. His treatment plan that night included two items I'd never seen or heard before. One was this little handheld tool that adjusts you instead of the really hard adjustments like where a chiro stands behind you and twists your neck to adjust it (which apparently is really bad for fibro patients since it can cause flare ups). The other was another handheld tool that sounded almost like a drill but it was with this big, soft ball on the end that sent vibrations through you that did something that made me feel TERRIFIC! It hurt while he did it, but afterward it was great. I was there for about an hour this time. I just love the people, the chairs, the recliners in the waiting room, and so much more.

My third visit was last night and it was... different. He'd had me try this powdered drink supplement that I gagged over the morning before and there's no way I could continue on it! So he switched this last time to two vitamin pill supplements, one that I take one of with each meal, and the other I take three of with each meal - yuck (today was my first day on them - so far so good but don't know yet how effective)! But, if it helps me feel better in the longrun, then I'm all for it. I figure at this point, I'll try just about anything (so long as my body can tolerate it). The weird part about this visit is HE MOVED MY STOMACH! It was sooooo weird. I'd heard he'd done this before, but experiencing it was like nothing else. I'd told him how my acid reflux and IBS had really been acting up, so he tested me and said my stomach was pushed up into my diaphragm. Just that he could know that amazed me! (No machines or anything, just a poking/reaction test.) It was really cool as he really knows his stuff. But it hurt like nothing else. It was terrible. I was practically screaming because where he had to push is a very sensitive area on my body. I'm still really sore and in pain today, but it's slowly subsided throughout the day. I really hope it helped make a difference, but it's too early to tell right now. This visit was also about an hour but I hear after a couple more I'll probably be down to 15 minutes or so, depending on the treatment plan.

I'm happy with how it's going so far. I admit to struggling with doubts about it, but after dealing with it all so long, sometimes it can just be hard not to see immediate results. I know that's unrealistic, so I'm trying to be patient, wrapping this in prayer, and hoping for amazing results in a few months. I hope I won't be disappointed. So many things have been pointing me in this direction.

That's all I can think of for now. I don't know if it's the extra driving or what, but I'm exhausted beyond comprehension. I feel like I could sleep for a month and never be rested well enough. I don't know if it's the time change adjustment still or that everyone else around me is sick and I'll probably get it soon... I don't know. I'm not even sure how much sense I'm making right now. Time for bed.



1 comment:

Future of Hope said...

Rochelle,
I continue to pray for you!
Love,
Erin