See here for part one.
After we did as the firefighters instructed, we went to a nearby hotel and slept the best we could after checking in. It was a restless night of sleep, and we were up early calling our bosses to let them know we wouldn't be in for work that day. Tim then got right to work looking through the yellow pages and calling heating companies.
Thankfully we found one we liked without too much trouble, and they could come out that morning. So, we had some breakfast at the hotel, then headed back to the house to wait for the heating guy. We were pretty pleased with them, despite the sinking feeling of pouring out thousands of unexpected dollars because our furnace had to be completely replaced. It had a cracked heat exchanger that was leaking the carbon monoxide. It had to go.
After some time, we made the decision and went with the furnace we liked. We'd already planned a weekend back in my hometown with my family, so after confirming everything at the house was set, we went away on an extra extended weekend. We came back on Monday to a new furnace being put in.
We're so thankful for the quick, efficient service we got, the good price we think we got, for God's protection, and for His sovereignty. We were challenged and stretched, but He proved faithful and we are so grateful!
Now go get yourself a carbon monoxide detector! We have another one upstairs now, a new one that gives out the reading of the levels downstairs, and we bought some for family members for Christmas that year. It really is so important. Just like smoke alarms. Make sure you're covered and safe!!