Thursday, January 12, 2012

Almost Done Waiting

As one of my nearest and dearest friends is progressing through labor this evening, and as we've been watching their 2 1/2 year old son Parker, I've been doing a lot of thinking... and a ton of praying.

And some reflection.


From the moment I laid eyes on that kid, I knew.

He had my heart.

It's been a very special bond since day one. I can't begin to explain it. I don't always understand it. I can't put into words just how very much I love that kid, given that he's no actual relation to me.

But he and his parents are like family to me.

Parker, you will always have a very special place in Auntie Shell's heart!!


But tonight we wait for your little brother. As you lay sleeping upstairs, despite the enthusiasm you seemed to show when we told you that when you woke up in the morning you'd probably have a baby brother and that we know you don't fully understand it, your mama & daddy {especially your mama!} are hard at work bringing baby N into this world!!

I cannot wait to meet him. And I'm sure my bond with him will be sweet and special, just in different ways.

Because Parker, you are the son I never had. You are the little buddy I absolutely adore hanging out with. You are the little man who completely exhausts me regularly, and who makes me ooze with pride and joy at every turn. Outside of Jesus Christ and my husband, you are the one person in my life who has changed me radically, and have reminded me to smile and laugh even when I've felt like screaming and crying.
 You will always be my very special "bud".

No one can ever replace my Parker.

1 comment: