Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fibromyalgia, Antibiotics, Feeling Better, & Labor Day

Ehhhh.

My body does not react well to medications.

Especially powerful ones like antibiotics. But when I get super sick, I have to have them or my body doesn't heal.

Such a catch-22.

I've been taken through the wringer the past 2 weeks and my body is not happy with me at all. Quite honestly, the past 2 weeks have seen some incredibly challenging, draining, excruciating, physically taxing, and relationally tolling times.

Having Fibromyalgia also means the pain levels soar at a time like this. You not only lay around because you are sick, you lay around because you are in too much pain & fatigue to get up and do anything. You can't push yourself to even do a few things, because you could cause a relapse very easily. Your body is so weak and frail that any wrong decision can have major consequences.

I don't know if deciding to go to work last week when I thought I was better on Wednesday morning was the wrong decision or not, but I definitely felt increasingly worse after it. I didn't know or have any way to know that would happen because I genuinely felt better, but it just goes to show that sometimes you just don't know. You do the best you can with what you have and sometimes, it just doesn't work out.

Antibiotics rip threw my body and mess with every single inner-working of my system that you can imagine. Without being super specific [cuz trust me, you don't want that], it's hard to say much here. But you all know how the human body works, just imagine practically everything going wrong internally, then add on your already increasing pain & fatigue levels that are so crushing some days you can't see or think straight, you're a mess, your head is all foggy, and you literally feel like someone threw you in the washing machine, tossed you to and fro, and wrung you out to dry. And then you try being any normal part of who you really are. 

That's life with a chronic illness. Sometimes it just beats the pulp out of you.

Hence, my last 2 weeks. I've been beat up and torn apart but I'm finally, finallyyyy getting back to my normal and feeling much better. Hooray!!!!

It was disappointing to have to cancel travel plans for Labor Day weekend, but it helped to talk to my family and know that I will see them again very soon. :) And we ended up having a fabulous weekend! Despite that we weren't invited to any barbeques, have any social events, or do much outside the house, we did enjoy the time we had together and the stuff we did do [which includes movie reviews, to come!].

Hope you all had a great Labor Day weekend too! Did you do anything fun you'd like to share? I love to hear your stories!


1 comment:

Liz Mays said...

I absolutely hate that there isn't some permanent relief for this. Nobody should feel the way you described!