Sunday, February 21, 2010

An Eventful Saturday

Yesterday morning we went to our city's Salvation Army Haiti Relief. We helped put together meals. By the end of the day about 4,000 people had contributed to 650,000 meals packaged.

What a huge honor it was to be a part of such a phenomenal event! We were only there for two and a half hours... one hour standing in line and the other part of it putting the meals together. We shared our time with wonderful people. We had fun. We enjoyed going as fast as we could to help out in the best way possible.

I wasn't feeling well yesterday morning, so I have to admit it took some talking me into it. And now I'm very glad I went. Although today it was also really hard to get up, and I'm definitely in a bit of a flare-up. But still, every second of it was worth it in the end to know it was helping in such an extraordinary way, ya know?

Here are some pics I captured on my cell phone from the event {sorry they're a bit blurry}.

 
 Portable hand-washing stations
  
 Our table of really wonderful workers, we had fun
  
 My station, making sure each bag weighed between 390 and 392 grams
  
 Each bag said something like "Not to Be Sold. To be handed out freely because Jesus loves little children!" Love it!
  
 Tim at his station, flattening the bags and stickering them
  
  

Afterward we went over to the McDonald's next door that was donating 20% of all their profits yesterday (and today) to the Haiti Relief efforts with the Salvation Army.

I'm just continually amazed & thankful at the generosity of people, and that we are able to continue our efforts in helping even though it might be easy to go about our lives as usual pretty quickly afterward. It was so great yesterday to see so many people so excited to help out.

What a blessing.

After all that was done, we headed to Michael's to return the picture frame I found last week. When we took off the outer cardboard wrapping, we saw a large nick in one of the corners. So we exchanged it for one that wasn't chipped. And finally got it up where it belongs. 

  
 

Now I get to see the lovely face of my favorite little kiddo every day. Love it.

Then after a week and a half of not having a garage {urggggg!}, Tim was able to get it fixed late yesterday afternoon. Whew! It is so nice to have it back.

Below are the pics from the thing-a-ma-jig that broke and the new one to replace it. That old one was pretty ground up, eh?


Never a dull moment around here. :) And I never want to take any of it for granted.

2 comments:

Christina T said...

Pretty cool that you and Tim got to be involved in the Haiti Relief event. Sounds like a great way to spend the day!

Anonymous said...

The Haiti Relief event sounds awesome! I would love to be a part of something like that! So many people will be blessed!