Saturday, July 16, 2011

Skype & A Little Perspective

Today I signed up for Skype.

Being as into media, technology, and such as I am... I'm surprised it took this long. Some coworkers had been asking me to join so we could talk and share screens while they work off-site, and finally I gave in.

I posted on Facebook that I'd finally joined and asked who wanted to be my first guinea pig. My dear, childhood friend Wendy jumped at the chance. Bless her heart and her patience with me as I learn Skype! She's a missionary overseas {for her safety I won't share the country}, and I simply adore her. So it was really great to see her face across the computer screen.

taken January 2010 at a lunch during my work at a nearby popular pizza place while they were on furlough

We had a really great chat, and I also got some face time with her newest baby who is now 1 month old. I can't believe my sweet childhood friend has 4 little ones!! Seems so unreal, but she is such a great mom. It was really nice to catch up with her.

She also really helps me gain a little perspective on life. Whenever I am tempted to complain about being homesick or missing family, she reminds me that at least I can technically see them just about any time I want to. She can go a couple years without seeing or being able to visit her family. Whenever I am tempted to complain {like I started to catch myself doing today} that I've been traveling too much or having too many guests and am exhausted, she helps keep me grounded and thankful that I can do those things at all.

And I think it's always good to remember that things could always be worse than they are for us right now. No matter what we are facing - missing family from a distance, facing cancer or chronic illness, financial woes, etc - someone somewhere always has it a bit worse. And while we need not focus on that, it gives us perspective. It reminds us to pray for those who have needs deeper than our own, to pray for those who have everything they need physically but are perhaps empty spiritually, and to pray for all those in-between.

God uses people of all different shapes, sizes, colors, illnesses, and circumstances to further His Kingdom and His glory. May we never lose that perspective.


No comments: