Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My 5 Year Anniversary of Fibromyalgia

It's hard to believe that 5 years ago today, it all started.

I remember the day like it was yesterday. I was sitting in my office at work, doing my usual thing, when suddenly I felt shooting, tingling pain up and down my left arm. I remember freaking out, because of course, it was my left arm. I was only 28, but being that I wasn't in the best shape, I was obviously freaked out about my heart.

I ran over to my coworker Joe to ask him what he thought. As we talked, he thought more and more like it could just be a pinched nerve [not that Joe is a doctor, not that we knew for sure, but the only symptom I had was the tingling in my arm...]. He immediately recommended to me a chiropractor friend of his. I'd never been to a chiropractor before, so I was uncertain, but I was also scared about what was going on. I called them and they were able to get me in right away.

I was there for 2 hours. He wasn't certain either, but the final analysis was that he thought it was a pinched nerve too. After working on me for a bit, I definitely felt a lot better!!! I was amazed. We set another appointment and I kept going back to him for months.

In the course of all of this, my symptoms started to get worse. I developed a laundry list of weird stuff going on with my body. I literally thought I was falling apart. I spent lots of time with the doctor, chiropractor, gastroenterologist, etc etc.

I remember sitting in the library one day, skimming through a book on chronic illness, and realizing that I was reading my story. I started crying right then and there, with a mixed feeling of relief & fear crippling me. The story was about a woman with Fibromyalgia. Just a few pages of her symptoms and her life change... and I knew that was me.

5 years ago today, my life changed radically. I will never be the same, and I'm incredibly grateful for all that God has taught me along the way!

Please go to the "My Fibro Story" page to read more of my story.


1 comment:

Missy Schranz said...

I remember my first day of fibro, too. Life is never the same again!!! God bless, Rochelle.
Take care, my friend!
Hugs,
Missy