Friday, September 7, 2012

Recent Movies

We've seen a bunch of movies lately - some just me, some together, one just hubster. Some just aren't even worth mentioning, so here's the ones I thought I'd share.

Rented:

Act of Valor
Gripping, powerful, different than I expected, very real, tear-jerking, and eye-opening. Not greatly acted, but the stories are incredible and so inspiring.

21 Jump Street
Awful. Wow. So bad. Don't watch it.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
I don't know what caused me to select this at Redbox other than hoping I'd learn something more about fishing. It was a bit weird and awkward at points, but surprisingly beautiful, meaningful, and has a touching ending. It's not perfect, but there are some redeeming qualities to it that made it a surprising treat. 

Friends with Kids
Heartfelt, some specially poignant moments, but some really raunchy, unnecessary moments too. But if you loved Bridesmaids, you might really like this too. 4 of the main characters from that movie are in this one and it kind of feels like a sequel with a twist. Despite the totally inappropriate raunchy-ness, I shamefully admit to enjoying parts of both of these movies. Shhh, don't tell my mother! ;)

Blue Like Jazz
Wow this was different than I expected. It's the kind of movie that makes you uncomfortable, but you're still glad you watched it. I think sorting through your faith is a good thing, and I'm inspired at the same time that I kinda hated it. I hear the book is much better, not surprising.

Theatre:

Dark Knight Rises
Amazing and surprising. I wasn't sure what to think, especially about the creepy character. Even though Bane is hard to understand with his deep voice and all, but he wasn't as creepy as I originally thought. Some redeeming qualities are shown in him, and there's a very touching scene about him. The special effects were great, acting was superb, and the storyline went along well. I was completely surprised by the last part of the film, which was done super well in my opinion. I love how it 'wrapped things up'. Very good! But if you aren't into this string of darker, intense Batman movies, then you certainly won't like this film.

Total Recall
I didn't see this but Tim wasn't a big fan. He'd gone in really hoping it'd be good, but he was disappointed. The effects and technology were clearly better in this updated version, but otherwise it wasn't very memorable and the original with Schwarzenegger is just better.

The Bourne Legacy
I was pleasantly surprised by this one because I didn't think I'd like anything Bourne related that didn't have Matt Damon in it. It turned out to be really good! There are some slow scenes, a couple places where I admittedly started nodding off but keep in mind this was after my first full week back at work after being sick and I was exhausted on Friday night! I love the way they tie this movie into the others and it was well worth seeing. Good movie.

The Amazing Spiderman
Wow. I mean really, wow. I went to this movie begrudgingly because I didn't think it was going to be all that good. Plus, I like Tobey Maguire, and I thought 10 years between franchises was way too soon. Like, come up with new ideas already people! I'd seen some promotions for the movie, saw some clips, saw the main actor on Jay Leno, etc, and just felt meh about it. Mannnn was I ever wrong!! I was seriously shocked at how good this was. And how the new twist on it all, the different villain, a different girl, etc, actually really made it feel like new ideas/content, and yet the same story idea. Just like the different Batman franchises, they really can be done well despite their differences. I wasn't ready for a new one of this quite yet, but now I'm a fan. I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie, couldn't wait to see what would happen next, and enjoyed pretty much everything about it. Great special effects!!

Hands down though, our favorite movie of the summer is still The Avengers. Funny, intense, more funny, sad, romantic-ish, and more funny. Great acting. Ties all of them in together really, really well. The writing is superb!

Do you have a summer favorite?

How's all that for some Friday fun?! Have a blessed weekend friends!


1 comment:

Rachel Jones said...

Thanks - this is helpful!! We didn't end up getting to the movies much this summer so I'm glad to know what to rent this fall!