Saturday, April 5, 2008

God's amazing daily grace

Yesterday was a really difficult and stressful day. I came home well into the evening utterly exhausted. Work is really busy and I'm trying to catch up, get on top of things, and work ahead so that when I'm away on vacation after Thursday there aren't any major things that come up. At the same time, I'm trying to get things done for mom's wedding and thinking ahead on chores like laundry, dishes, packing, prepping, etc. I still have to pick up my new contacts & glasses when they come in this week, pick up our dry cleaning and alterations, and a few other things.

I finally managed to find some shoes at JcPenney after work yesterday that will match the dress I'm wearing in mom's wedding. This was attempt #5 I think (ugh!). They weren't my top choice for color, but they'll have to do. They are comfortable and given my issues, that's an important component right now. Shoes and I do not get along. I have short, fat feet. Not a good combo for finding the right shoes.

Within one week and a day, we'll be at a funeral and a wedding for family members. I know they will both go well and I'll enjoy seeing people, but it's all the stuff that leads up to it that can get a bit crazy. Everything is just really hitting all at once. Yesterday God was busily teaching me to lean on him for strength and grace. There are so many little things that he's been showing us it was truly his timing in taking Nana when he did, having mom remarry when she is, and everything else that's going on. I’m thankful God is gently reminding me of his graces in each moment right now, as I need that.

I visited a friend of mine over lunch yesterday who lives just down the road from work. I was feeling really stressed and needed to just go grab lunch and come right back. But the Lord knew better. My friend had a baby about three months ago. I realized just at the wrong moment that I'd accidentally out of habit gone the wrong direction (toward home instead of toward the lunch place) and smacked my head like DOH! But then I just felt myself sort of not driving and being driven right over to her house. There was an empty parking spot right in front of her house, like it was saved just for me. There’s nothing better than being cheered up by a sleeping baby on your shoulder for a half hour while catching up with a dear friend when you're feeling stressed.

In the midst of the funeral planning/preparation, I believe God is using the wedding as well as this friend's baby to remind me of his sovereignty as well as the circle of life. It's in times like these God is directing me toward Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (ESV) "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance... a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away... a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace."

God has been so good to me, gently reminding me of his loving grace each day. God is my strength and boy, am I ever leaning on him right now!!

No comments: