Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fibromyalgia, Working Full-Time, and Having a Life

I have Fibromyalgia.

I work 40+ hours a week at a job I love.

I commute 1 1/2 hours each day.

I workout 2-3 times a week at the gym. Sometimes I'm at the gym for 1 1/2-2 hours.

I'm in a very intense Bible study.

I babysit somewhat regularly.

I have friends I hang out with regularly over lunch or after work or on the weekends.

I serve at my church at least twice a month which involves setting up a ministry counter, counting inventory, counting money, answering questions, interacting with lots of different people, etc.

I have a husband, a home, and family who are dear to me.

.......

I've been asked how I do it. I don't.  

Even looking at that list myself has me going... "Wait a second, how do I fit all that in without a severe flare-up?"

God does it. It's not anything I could attempt to do on my own.

Prior to August 2009, I could barely function. I was at a point where I was really scared. I wasn't sure my job was realistic for me anymore, but I hated the idea of leaving it. I was torn. I didn't know what to do. Much outside of work and the commute would have me in a flare-up. I'd hit physical rock bottom.

That's when I walked into my gym. My now beloved-can't-imagine-life-without-it gym. Despite the pain initially, regular workouts turned to be the best thing for me.

And work changed. Something I'd been in charge of for four years {that I really wasn't even all that good at, and had been a temporary thing} was finally handed over to a new hire. A HUGE relief.

Both of those things happened that month. It was another significant life change for me. I felt alive again.

I've had a lot of people close to me remind me of how I was several years ago. It's like I'm a different person. I have energy and my smile back. One of my best friends recently told me several things about how I was, and I honestly hadn't even realized I'd gotten that bad.

The biggest change is hope. I have hope again. I wasn't fully relying on the strength of my Savior. I was depressed. I was focusing on all of the negatives. Focusing on Christ, focusing on the positives, and pouring myself into things that can help me is all it took to turn things around.

Really, it's not that hard to change. We just think it is when we're in the thick of it so much that we can't see our hand in front of our face. If that's you right now, don't worry, this too shall pass. You will get there. If I can do it {with God}, so can you.

Now working is not really a problem. I still have occasional days where the pain is too intense to work, but they are very rare now. I'm so incredibly thankful.

I've read other blogs and health websites, and it seems to me the majority of those with Fibro can't work full-time. Others work full-time, but that's literally all they can do. 

We are all different, we all have our own stories. I'm not sure why I'm able to do the things I am, but I'm really thankful for it. I was really getting tired of sitting on the sidelines.

Now I'm able to really live again.

2 comments:

Debbie Vermilyea said...

I am so pleased for you Rochelle. You are positive, which I appreciate.

Liz Mays said...

Your faith is such a testimony and I truly do believe that God only gives us what we can handle. One of my fave quotes is: What God puts you through, he pulls you through.