Sunday, January 29, 2012

No-Fuss Potato Soup

This morning I made a recipe that my mom passed down to me - it was really good and I was really happy with how it turned out! I know it came from a cookbook, but unfortunately there's no record of where it came from.

I spent probably 30 minutes chopping and prepping things for it, tossed it into the crock pot, and we enjoyed it for dinner tonight. I'm reminded this week of how great it can be when I'm staying on top of menu planning and grocery shopping! With my schedule, it's hard to always do it properly, but when I am able to, it's amazing how much less stressed out I feel! Now for a dishwasher to make clean up easier! Hmmm.....

Anyway, there are tons of potato soup recipes out there and it's so hard to know what to try, so I went with the familiar and tried what my mom loves. :) I adjusted it so there was less onion (Tim isn't a fan) and more carrots, as well as the addition of a little fresh parsley to the top after cooking. I served mine alongside fresh pretzel rolls from our local grocery store.

It's super yummy - both hubster & I could get used to this Winter-time treat!!


No-Fuss Potato Soup

6 c. cubed, peeled Idaho potatoes (3 large = 6 c.)
5 c. water
2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. thinly sliced carrots
3 T. butter
4 t. chicken bouillon granules (for flavoring, found in the soup aisle in most stores)
1 1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper (I'm sensitive to pepper/spice so I wasn't sure about this, but I think this was perfect)

1 1/2 c. milk (recipe calls for whole milk, I used our usual 1% and it was still super good, although probably not as thick, you could add some half & half for thickening instead if you wanted)
2 t. chopped, fresh parsley

In large crock pot, combine the 1st 9 ingredients. Cover & cook on high for 7-8 hours or until vegetables are tender. (I did 7 hours but opened once about halfway through to stir one time.)

Add milk & parsley; mix well. Cover & cook 30-60 minutes longer (I did the full hour so it was a total 8 hour cooking time).

Makes 8-10 servings or 3 quarts.

3 comments:

Aliene said...

I just read your post on potato soup.
One of my favorites. I also read your post on fibromyalgia. I have it also and it is no fun. I surely would like to know what triggers it.
But not knowing, we have to go on in our pain and act like everything is okay. I am going to a chiropractor,also. It does seem to help. Just wanted you to know that I feel your pain. I don't think I've been on your blog before. Put I will visit again.

Aliene said...

I guess I have been here before. I went to sign in as a follower and saw I was already there. A few months back my computer crashed and I did not get all my followers back.

Liz Mays said...

That looks just amazing! I had potato soup for lunch yesterday, but I totally cheated and had Chunky brand soup. I'm kind of addicted to it. ;)