Thursday, May 22, 2008

Chapman Tragedy



One of my all-time favorite Christian music artists, especially during my teen years, is Steven Curtis Chapman. His songs have touched my life in a lot of different ways over the years. This morning on my way to work, my heart broke for him and his family in hearing the news of his daughter's tragic death.



Maria Sue, just 5-years-old, was tragically killed at her home yesterday, Wednesday, May 21, 2008. She
was accidentally hit in the driveway of the family's home by a vehicle driven by her teenage brother. It's believed that he did not see the girl (I can't imagine any other explanation). The accident was witnessed by several family members (how tragic!).



Steven and his wife, Mary Beth, have three biological children and three adopted children, of which Maria was the youngest.



Steven's web site now has a revised main page with details and funeral information, to see it click here.
Meet Maria and see a wonderful video with her and her daddy here. In lieu of flowers or gifts, please donate to Shaohannah's Hope.



I have so many Scripture verses running through my head, but the one that sticks out the most to me is Romans 5:1-5. It reminds us that through our suffering, God is working in us.



Prayers across the globe are being lifted up for the Chapman family during this devastating time of loss. Here's mine:



Dear Heavenly Father, please be with the Chapman family and draw them close to you. May they fall into your loving and open embrace and may their faith only be strengthened during this time, not lessened. Especially be with the oldest son right now as he's surely feeling devastated. I'm sure he really loved his sister and that he would never mean to do something like this. Please watch over him and protect his thoughts from the evil one. Keep them all focused on you so they remember that you are in control, that you are faithful, that you are good, and that you keep your promises. Help them to draw closer together as a family and help them to use this tragedy to only bring more glory to your name. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Photos (c) AP Photos

Side note: I'm having trouble with the spacing on this post for some reason. Please forgive the strange extra spaces. I figured it was better than the no spaces it was giving me before. Thanks for your patience!

No comments: