Thursday, June 19, 2008

Another flooding update

I’d really appreciate your prayers for all of the flooding, specifically in Iowa (it affects my dad), and in/around Quincy. The levee that broke yesterday morning in Meyer is not super far from where I grew up. Most of the cities/towns around there are above the bluff… a large, steep hill that protects most of them from the impending doom of the Mississippi. But the “bottoms” as we call them will be completely wiped out if more levees nearby break, destroying thousands of acres of farmland (including my grandpa’s, uncle’s, and mom’s), and my mom’s sister’s house where she raised her kids and had to leave in 1993 too. It’s all made me terribly homesick and weighed heavily on my heart the past couple of days. Thanks for your prayers!

A very close friend of mine was one who came out to help with sandbagging and she wound up on the NBC Nightly News! At about 2 minutes, 10 seconds into the video, she’s the redhead in the blue shirt and jean shorts. You only see her for a couple of seconds, but I couldn’t resist sharing this with you. She makes me proud and homesick!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#25246232

No comments: