Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fibromyalgia, Massages, & Support Groups

I've been doing some thinking and researching on massage therapy for Fibromyalgia.

In my previous encounters, I've had chiropractors who do some massage therapy, and I've gone to massage salons (is that what you call them??), and I've had my mix of good & bad experiences.

One of the best ever experiences I've had is with a salon in my hometown, as part of my mom's pre-wedding events. Mom and I went to the salon for various treatments, and her sister also joined us later for a trio of pedicures. The entire day was PERFECT and so relaxing. And that is the only massage place I've run across that has a Fibromyalgia specific massage. In a town of 50,000 people versus here in Chicagoland where I cannot find ANY! It was so surprising.

I wish I could find somewhere around here that specifically targets 30-60 minutes of massage specifically geared toward Fibro. On a side note, I definitely learned the hard way that 90 minutes is way too long for someone with Fibro!!!!

For more information, check out this website.

I'm also wondering about joining a support group. I can't decide whether or not to join a small group at my church with other ladies, or if I want to join a group targeted to meeting people with Fibro and people experiencing similar problems. The difficulty right now with the small group at church is that I don't want to let people down, especially those who don't understand Fibro. I'm going to be starting some pretty rigorous treatments with my chiropractor next month for 3-4 months, twice a week, with a really long drive, and I'm just unsure about jumping into something I may not be able to be fully committed to. But... I could really use the support.

For more information, check out this wesbite.

What do you all think?

4 comments:

Amanda Kimberley said...

Hi Rochelle!

I recently came across you blog on Fibromyalgia and I just think it's wonderful!

Support Groups on the net have helped me out a lot. I like the fact that I can log on when I can and not worry about disappointing someone if I don't show up.

I was also a member of a local Fibro support group here in CT, but it was hard for any of us to get together due to kids, illness, or work. They are fun too, though.

I guess my best advice to you is go at your own pace, find a group that doesn't have you paying dues-- (some local groups may do this-- mine did)paying for something that you might not use might not be so helpful, and just have fun.

Thank you for checking out and supporting my blog too! Hope you have a fabulous day!

Kimberley

Anonymous said...

Roe,

I'm probably not a good one to give any suggestions. But I think I've seen things in the monthly magazines that I get through Alexian Brothers or St. Alexius. What about looking into a local hospital support group specifically focused on fribromylagia? That way if you can make it one night that's great, but if you can't you won't be so stressed out. I would think through the local hospitals there could be some good groups out there.

I'll be praying for wisdom and direction regarding your decisions. It may be similar to your chiro/massage experiences- you may need to try more than one before you found the support you need and people you can connect with.

Don't know if that helps.

Julie

Sherah said...

I'll keep my ears open for massage therapists that specialize in fibro (my aunt is a massage therapist... I'll ask her!).

The Velvet Trunk said...

Hi Rochelle, I just saw the post and had to write b/c I have Fibromyalgia as well. It mainly comes when my Lupus is acting up, but it's there. About a year ago I thought I'd broken something in my back. My doctor tried to tell me that it was Fibromyalgia but I begged him to X-ray my back. Surely my muscles couldn't make me hurt like this. Of course everything was fine. It was the Fibromyalgia. He put me on muscle relaxers and they helped a bit but made me feel just weird...

So I went to the gym and started working out again. It was so hard at first, I could barely walk. But gradually after a couple weeks it got easier, and a couple weeks after that the pain was barely there. Now it's completely gone. But if I stop going to the gym for even a couple days, it starts again. I don't understand it, but it's twofold- #1. With the lupus I have to work out or I can't stay awake (the fatigue is too bad) and #2. With the Fibro I have to work out or I can't walk.

Anyways, just wanted to encourage you (if you're not already) to try exercising regularly. Take it really slow (as if you had a choice) and I think it could potentially change your life. I know all of our bodies are different but I just pray that would be the case!

Sending hugs from TN!!
-Mel